Thursday, February 13, 2020

Namorra Prime Terrain - Tutorial Part2


As promised, here is the second part of my terrain tutorial for the Namorra Prime Board.
In case you've missed the the first part of the tutorial, just click here.

After the board is completly cured we can continue with the next phase - painting and adding further details. I really tried to achive a great result in a rather easy and replicable way.

The next step is to prime the board. I use black, grey and white spray can primer to create a zenithal highlight and pre-colour the rock areas.
In case you wanted to create a moon surface you're done! ;-P
Otherwise you need to add some colour to the surface. I use a umber tone acrylic paint. This colour is heavily diluted with water and brushed on the surface like a wash. I also stipple this tone in random areas on the rock sections. Just to create a more interesting and natural look.

Then I use a diluted black paint and washed the rocks. I do this to darken them down a bit and get a bit more contrast in the recesses.

After the diluted paints have dried, I use the pure and undiluted umber tone to drybush the surface.

Next step is to drybrush the rocks. I use stone grey from Vallejo for this.

The bushes are painted with Vallejo's Flat Earth and also get a highlight / drybrush with a 
mix of Flat Earth and white (approx. 50/50).

Next step is to add some static grass. This is a step I had to compromise between good looking and playability. I used 3mm grass, but I guess a grass with longer fibers would look even better. 

I stippled on diluted PVA glue in the areas I want to have the grass, mixed two sorts and applied it with a tiny static grass applicator. I did this part after part and removed the left over grass with a vacuum cleaner. You can use a sock or stockings, put over the cleaning head, to prevent you loose all the left over grass

Now it is time to add some moss. Just mix PVA glue, flock and water and apply it with a brush. It will appear a lot darker when it has dried.

To add a bit more interest I used crushed fallen leaves to represent fallen leaves. Clever, eh?
Just sprinkle them on the board's surface. They will be fixed in the next step.

The last addition is a bit of foliage. I just created the desired shape and placed it with PVA glue on the desired spot.

Finally the whole board is sealed with the 99%-Alcohol and the PVA spray.

So far, so good! As mentioned in the first part, I think there is a lot space for improvements and a lot I still have to learn. I watched a lot of tutorials but in the fact I have to do these things on my own and learn from success and failure. There are a lot of materials I havn't used before, like the cork bark for example, and it is the best way to just try them out. Even when it fails you learn how to do better.


In the meantime of the last drying process I created a 60x40mm backdrop to get some moody pictures. I first thought about printing stuff, but I think that a real painting would be much more what I had in mind. It is my first acrylic painting and I am really happy about the result. It took approx. 30min and it is mostly wet in wet colour smashing, smoothing transitions and stippling. Thank you YouTube tutorials!


Thank you very much for your visit and stay tuned for the next terrain update soon!

4 comments:

  1. Lovely stuff, the backdrop was a great idea too and really helps set the mood.
    Top work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much! I will experiment with stuff like that in the future to underline the mood of models.

      Delete
  2. How have I not seen this earlier?! This is amazing. The tutorial and especially the backdrop. Cannot believe that this was your first painting❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is INCREDIBLE. As someone who likes to present his figures in an evocative terrain setting, I wish I had the impetus and skill to make something like this.

    ReplyDelete